A Raptis and Sons A Raptis and Sons

A Raptis and Sons

Currently the site of Raptis’ Cold Storage, this large complex has had a chequered career. In 1935 Shann Bros. built a meat works, with government assistance to supply a new, and hopefully lucrative Pacific market. It was built from brick made locally in Normanton. The meat works only operated for two years on a full scale before it went into liquidation and was sold to AW Anderson (the Sausage King) in 1939. In operated seasonally until 1941, by which time, competition from canneries, and the difficulty of getting labour, made the operation unviable. There was a piggery associated with the meat works further up river. The meat works fell into disrepair and finally burnt down in the 50’s. In 1963 Mostyn & Co built their prawn processing plant on the same site using what remained of the old building. This plant was built in conjunction with the CSIRO and was to be the beginning of a very large export market.

The factory and all ancillary accommodation was sold to Raptis & Sons in 1977, by which time most of the trawlers had better refrigeration and the factory was only needed during the Banana Prawn season due to the large numbers of prawns caught. The factory burnt down in 1984 and this depot was built in its place.

Currently the site of Raptis’ Cold Storage, this large complex has had a chequered career. In 1935 Shann Bros. built a meat works, with government assistance to supply a new, and hopefully lucrative Pacific market. It was built from brick made locally in Normanton. The meat works only operated for two years on a full scale before it went into liquidation and was sold to AW Anderson (the Sausage King) in 1939. In operated seasonally until 1941, by which time, competition from canneries, and the difficulty of getting labour, made the operation unviable. There was a piggery associated with the meat works further up river. The meat works fell into disrepair and finally burnt down in the 50’s. In 1963 Mostyn & Co built their prawn processing plant on the same site using what remained of the old building. This plant was built in conjunction with the CSIRO and was to be the beginning of a very large export market.

The factory and all ancillary accommodation was sold to Raptis & Sons in 1977, by which time most of the trawlers had better refrigeration and the factory was only needed during the Banana Prawn season due to the large numbers of prawns caught. The factory burnt down in 1984 and this depot was built in its place.