Krystina Pawlowski, a well known crocodile hunter in the Gulf region, shot the largest estuarine crocodile in the world, measuring 8.63m long. A life sized model is on display in the LEW Henry Park, beside the Council Chambers.
Aboriginal Burial Grounds
Not open to the public. Aboriginal tribes occupied much of the area along the north east side of the Norman River.
Normanton was the base of the North Australian Observer Unit and C Company during World War II when it became apparent the more defence lines were needed. The aerodrome was built on the site of the old racecorse and has an all weather landing strip.
Established in 1896, the Artesian Bore used to supply the town with up to 300.000 gallons of water per day.
Before the Norman Bridge was built, vehicles were ferried across the Norman River by punt. In the late 1880s, a winch type punt was used for several years before being replaced by a diesel operated punt.
Camping Area (Permit Required)
This is a free camping area you must be fully self contained, a permit is required from the Normanton Visitor Information Centre to camp here.
Carpentaria Shire Council Chambers
The Carpentaria Divisional Board was constituted in 1883 and its chambers built seven years later in the style of hotels at the times.
Cast Iron Gutter Covers
Forged at the foundry in Croydon, in the early 1880s and with the inscription 'Normanton Municipal Council', these cast iron plates cover many of the gutters around town. Look in front of the Shire Council Building and down Landsborough Street towards the Burns Philp Building.
In the 1890's Normanton became the main penal establishment for the entire Gulf region. The Goal has several cells with 18 inch walls and limited exercise yards. It was used as a watch house up until the 1990's when the present police station was built.
Old Norman River Bridge
This single lane bridge, officially called The Captain WH Norman Bridge, was completed in 1966 to replace the punt which ferried vehicles across the Norman River. However faults detected in 2001 meant a reduced safe load limit and a new bridge was constructed.
The historic Railway Station is an architectural marvel that was once the focal point of the town. Tour the informative museum and the see the rolling stock or take an overnight trip on the famous Gulflander to Croydon.
Stone Pitched Gutters
This durable street guttering was made in the early 1880s from stone from the Normanton Quarry located behind the hospital. The gutters start at the Burns Philp Building and can be seen either side of Landsborough Street to the Westpac Bank.
The Burns Philp Building
This building represents the story of one of the most successful companies in Australia. Today, it serves as the Library & Visitor Information Centre, and is the perfect example of colonial architecture with the original facade in place.
In the early days the shallow stretches of the Norman River were crossed by a corduroy crossing, a bridge built by placing logs alongside one another. Now replaced by a built up section of road, the logs of the old corduroy can still be seen. These days the area is a popular fishing spot.
The Trackers Quarters
This simple two-roomed structure played an important role in the judicial system of Normanton. in 1874 indigenous males were employed by the police department as trackers. Singer Slim Dusty paid tribute to one of Normanton's most famous trackers in his song "Nardoo Burns".