The Carpentaria Shire Council welcomes all travellers to our region and the opportunity to see some of the best nature has to offer, the Outback by the Sea.
Overnight parking is not permitted on roadsides and other public land within 5km of the townships of Normanton and Karumba.
Self-drive travellers will find affordable overnight accommodation at the region's many commercially-operated caravan and tourist parks.
Alternatively, Council offers a seasonal free camping site on the banks of the Norman River in Normanton. Travellers are able to be issued a permit from the Normanton Library and Visitor Information Centre (corner of Landsborough and Caroline Streets) during opening hours. For opening hours, please visit the Visitor Information Centres and Libraries.
Permits are issued with the following terms and conditions:
- Permits are valid for up to two nights only and must be displayed on your vehicle’s windshield at all times.
- Campsites are to be vacated by 10 am on the day of departure.
- Campsites are to be maintained in a clean and tidy condition at all times.
- All rubbish and other remains must be removed when vacating the campsite.
- All camping vans must be self-contained i.e having a toilet and shower.
- Contents of chemical toilets must be disposed of at approved council dump site or taken home.
- Camping must only be within the designated zone as indicated by the camping signs – (a town map indicating where the free camping is and where the signs are will be supplied).
- Pets are permitted however it is your responsibility to ensure they kept safe and do not damage the local flora and fauna.
- Council inspections are conducted twice a day checking for permits and that campsites are kept clean and tidy.
- NO OPEN WOOD-FUELLED FIRES ALLOWED. Enclosed wood fires and Gas fuelled fires are permitted.
- No tents are permitted in the free camping sites.
- DO NOT enter the river, as crocodiles are present.
- Please be mindful of other campers, ensure minimal noise particularly between the hours of 7 pm and 7 am.
- Damage to any Council property is to be reinstated by the permit holder and/or at the permit holder’s expense.
- Please be advised that you may need to leave the campsite immediately in wet weather.
RV Dump Points
RV travellers can deposit their wastewater (sewage) from caravans and RVs at Council's dumping site:
Normanton: Normanton Works Depot, Old Hospital Road, Normanton.
Karumba: Truck Stop, corner of Yappar and Walker Street, Karumba.