Disaster Recovery Information
This webpage has been set up to assist anyone who has been affected by the North & Far North West Queensland Monsoon Trough - 25 January - 14 February 2019
Council Disaster Recovery Hub
Phone: (07) 4745 2200
- Natural Disaster support and recovery guide
- Financial Assistance Fact Sheet
- Community Recovery Directory
Community Recovery Hotline - 1800 173 349
Self Recovery Mobile App
Department of Human Services Assistance
Help is available for people who have been affected by the Far North Queensland Floods
- Carcass Disposal Assistance Grant ($5000) - Application form and guidelines
- Category B freight subsidies
- Special Disaster Assistance Recovery Grants – Exceptional Circumstances (Up to $75 000)
- Special Disaster Recovery Grants (Primary Producers) - Up to $75,000 to assist category C and D primary producers with a range of clean-up and reinstatement activities. Apply by 9th August 2019.
- Disaster Recovery Payment - One-off payment of $1,000 per adult and $400 per child. Apply by 30th August 2019.
- Disaster Recovery Allowance - Short term payment (maximum 13 weeks) for lost income. Apply by 30th August 2019.
- Ex-Gratia Disaster Recovery Payment - Available to New Zealand non-protected Special Category visa holders (sub-class 444). Application Form and Guidelines.
- Ex-Gratia Disaster Recovery Allowance - Available to New Zealand non-protected Special Category visa holders (sub-class 444). Application Form and Guidelines.
- Disaster Assistance Loans
- Disaster Assistance (Essential Working Capital) Loans
- Carcass Disposal Information
- Carcass Disposal Poster
Water Quality and Treatment Information
Queensland Health has provided the following information including a list of resources and some generic advice to be shared within flood-affected Shires:
For rainwater tanks (including bore-water holding tanks) affected by natural disasters, QH have published the following factsheet - Rainwater tanks affected by natural disasters
Shallow bores are likely to have been affected by the flooding and water from these bores should not be used to fill (or refill) rainwater tanks. Turkey's nest dams will almost certainly have been affected. Deep bores may also have been affected. A good rule of thumb is for residents to not use any source of water that is suspected of being contaminated, as a result of the flooding, to fill or refill a rainwater tank.
If no safe alternative is available, residents should be advised to boil their water for:
- brushing teeth
- preparing and cooking foods
- washing raw foods such as fruit and vegetables
- preparing beverages and making ice
- preparing baby formula
- sponge-bathing infants.
Information on cleaning and disinfecting taps has been provided - Returning to a disaster-affected house or building
Guidance on managing water supplies on rural properties on a day-to-day basis can be found in our 'Safe water on rural properties' guideline
Local concerns may be directed to the Townsville Public Health Unit on phone (07) 4433 6900, or email: EH_Townsville@health.qld.gov.au
- Cleaning mould - https://www.qld.gov.au/community/disasters-emergencies/recovery-after-disaster/cleaning-up/mould
- Dealing with mould - https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0018/713421/dm-mould.pdf
- Treat/Prevent Mould (Contact QSA Preservation) – (07) 3037 6777 - https://www.forgov.qld.gov.au/prevent-or-treat-mould
- Loss of Income - Department of Human Services - 180 22 66
- Emergency Hardship Assistance - 1800 173 349
- Emergency Housing - 13 QGOV- 13 74 68
- Department of Agriculture & Fisheries - (07) 4794 8900
- Insurance Council of Australia - 1300 728 228
- QLD Ombudsman - 1800 068 908
Charities and organisations who want to help you
- QLD Rural and Industry Development Authority (QRIDA) - 1800 623 946 - http://www.qrida.qld.gov.au/current-programs/Disaster-recovery
- Sisters of the North (distribute funds to flood-affected communities) - https://www.facebook.com/sistersofthenorth1
- Drought Angels - 07 4662 7371 - https://www.droughtangels.org.au/ - A small charity run by people with big hearts who are passionate about our farmers and keeping them on the land.
- St Vincent de Paul - Financial Support from St Vincent de Paul
- Christian Outreach - Global Care - http://www.cocmtisa.com.au/outreach.html - Mates helping mates (Volunteers for fencing and clean up) - Phone: (07) 4743 8656
- BlazeAid - - BlazeAid assist with the cleanup and rebuild of your rural property by providing volunteers and local business gift cards. Call Christine Male - 0418 745 994.
- QCWA - Phone: 0409 643 866 (Please leave a message if not answered)
- NQLD Public Health Advice
- Mental Health
- Community Recovery Hub
- Lifeline - 13 11 14
- Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) - 4743 2802 (24hr Medical line)
- 13HEALTH - 13 43 25 84
- New Ways, Real Health (NWRH) https://www.nwrh.com.au/contact-us/
- 1800 221 131 - North West (Mt Isa)
- 1800 789 310 - Central West (Longreach)
- 4747 8800 - Lower Gulf (Normanton)
- Mensline QLD - 1800 600 636
- Kids Helpline - 1800 551 800
- Parentline - 1300 301 300
- Relationships Australia - 1300 364 277
- Virtual Psychologist (24/7) - 1300 665 234
- Suicide Call-back Service - 1300 659 467
- North and West Remote Health (NWRH) - (07) 4744 7600 - https://www.nwrh.com.au - Allied health, aged care, wellbeing and disability services across regional, rural and remote Australia.
- Centacare North Queensland - Free Call NQ Care (1300 672 273) - https://www.centacarenq.org.au/centacare-services/community-engagement-and-support-services/cloncurry-community-support-service/
- Community Support Service - Newaccess Western Qld (6 free sessions)
- NQ Connect 1300 059 625 https://nqconnect.com.au - NQ Connect is an established free and safe telephone and online counselling service for people in northern and western Queensland.
Want to Help?
- Volunteer - If you have a rural background and keen to help graziers put up fences and other station duties, please contact - BlazeAid
- GIVIT is a national not-for-profit connecting those who have with those who need, in a private and safe way.
- “Sisters of the North” is the brainchild of a group of women who want to encourage connection, community and empowerment as a means of developing resilience against any adversity potentially experienced - visit their gofundme page if you wish to donate
- QCWA - Our vision is simple, for the women of Queensland to come together to support communities
- Normanton CWA Branch - Friendship, Community, Connection
- Phone: 0409 643 866 (Please leave a message if not answered)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org