An Administrative Action Complaint is a complaint about Carpentaria Shire Council by a person who is directly affected by an administrative action or decision of Council or its staff (including contractors and volunteers), including a failure to take action or make a decision.

Administrative action complaints relate to the actions or decisions made by Council, but do not include:

  • Initial requests for information;
  • Initial requests for service (barking dog, leaking water pipe, bin not being emptied, overgrown allotments, neighbourhood nuisances etc.);
  • Suggestions or enquiries about Council services;
  • Petitions to Council;
  • Claims for compensation;
  • Comments submitted during formal consultation processes;
  • Complaints about neighbours, businesses or community groups.

Section 268(2) of the Local Government Act 2009 defines an ‘administrative action complaint’ as a complaint that:

  1. Is about an administrative action of a local government, including the following, for example:
    1. A decision, or a failure to make a decision, including a failure to provide a written statement of reasons for a decision;
    2. An act, or failure to do an act;
    3. The formulation of a proposal or intention;
    4. The making of a recommendation; and
  2. Is made by an affected person.

Read more about Council's Administrative Action Complaints process below or read the Administrative Actions Complaints FAQs

How do I make an Administrative Action complaint?

Customer Feedback Form

You will need to provide the following details when you lodge a complaint:

  • Your contact details*;
  • The nature of the complaint in as much detail as possible;
  • Detail of any loss or detriment you have suffered;
  • If you have previously discussed the matter with Council;
  • If the incident has been reported to any other agency or authority;
  • The remedy you are seeking;
  • Any supporting information and documentation, including names and contact details of anyone else who is able to support the complaint.

*You may remain anonymous but please be aware that Council may need to contact you for further details to properly investigate the complaint. Council may refuse to investigate an anonymous complaint if insufficient information is provided.

Do I have to put my complaint in writing?

No, you can lodge your complaint verbally, however we encourage you to complete a Customer Feedback form to ensure we have all the information we require to properly investigate the matter.

There are a number of ways you can lodge your complaint form:

What response can I expect when I lodge my complaint?

Council takes complaints seriously. We will acknowledge your complaint within 5 business days from receiving the complaint. We will provide you with a complaint reference number, the complexity level of your complaint, advise if we will investigate your complaint and when you should expect to be notified of the outcome.

Will my identity remain confidential?

Yes. It is Council’s policy not to disclose confidential information, including names and addresses, without a person’s consent, to anyone outside Council, unless required to by law.

Can I lodge a complaint on behalf of someone else?

Council will accept a complaint on behalf of an affected person where the affected person authorises them as an agent to do so. To do this, the affected person will need to authorise their agent by completing section D of our Customer Feedback form. We will then correspond directly with the agent.

I need help to make a complaint.

Where necessary, a Council officer may help you by providing information on how to make a complaint, including how it should be documented.

If I make a complaint, can Council refuse to investigate?

Yes, Council can refuse to investigate a complaint if:

  • The complaint is considered to be trivial, frivolous or vexatious, lacks substance or credibility or is substantially similar to a complaint you have already made; or
  • The complainant does not have sufficient direct interest (is not an affected person) in the matter the administrative action complaint is about; or
  • It is made using rude, aggressive, abusive or threatening language, or where the complainant is physically harassing a Council officer(s); or
  • The complainant is pursuing the complaint through an alternative review process, or it has already been reviewed through an alternate review process;
  • Where a complaint was made anonymously and insufficient information was provided.

Are there any costs associated with lodging a complaint?

No, there is no fee or charge.

Can I withdraw my complaint?

Yes, if you change your mind and wish to withdraw a complaint, you may do so at any time in writing.


Council will use any personal information collected for the purpose of investigating your complaint and remain in contact with you. Council is authorised to collect this information under the Information Privacy Act 2009. Your personal information will be dealt with in accordance with Council’s Information Privacy Policy.

Competitive neutrality complaints

A competitive neutrality complaint is made by an affected person that Council has failed to conduct a business activity in accordance with the competitive neutrality principle, e.g. by utilising its position to compete unfairly with a business competitor.

An affected person who has been adversely affected by a competitive advantage allegedly enjoyed by Council may make a complaint.

Should you wish to discuss a matter relating to competitive neutrality, please contact the CEO on (07) 4745 2200 or email, so you can explain your concerns and enable Council to clarify and, if possible, resolve the matter before a formal complaint is made.

# Name Size Type Date Download
1 Administrative Action Complaints Procedure - POL_E_CSA_002.pdf 199.30 KB PDF 16th May 2024
2 Administrative Actions Complaints Policy - POL_E_CSA_002.pdf 172.60 KB PDF 16th May 2024
3 CSC - AAC_Complaints_FAQ.pdf 137.09 KB PDF 7th July 2021
4 Form 110 - Fraud Allegation Reporting Form.pdf 102.83 KB PDF 17th January 2018
5 Form 312 - Customer Feedback Form.pdf 93.54 KB PDF 5th April 2016