The Budget Document for the 2017/2018 Financial Year has been prepared in accordance with legislation and adhering to Council budget guidelines released from the office of the Chief Executive Officer.
Each year the budget process is the most import part of the Corporate Calendar.
Under legislation the Mayor has the extra responsibility for proposing the adoption of the local government’s budget.
Changes to legislation in 2009 and 2012 now require local governments to consider the longer term when managing their finances. Copies of the relevant sections of the legislation and the requirements of Council’s have been included in this document for the purpose of informing the community of this obligation.
Carpentaria Shire Council has taken this responsibility seriously and has been working to ensure that while this is a legislative requirement it is also good governance and management practice to ensure that the Council remains financially viable and planning becomes part of the way that we regularly do business.
Legislation changes in 2009 saw a move from a very prescriptive Local Government Act 1993 to legislation that gave Council more autonomy. However with autonomy comes accountability and the Government provided for a set of five local government principles.
To ensure the system of local government is accountable, effective, efficient and sustainable, Parliament requires—
- anyone who is performing a responsibility under this Act to do so in accordance with the local government principles; and
- any action that is taken under this Act to be taken in a way that—
- is consistent with the local government principles; and
- provides results that are consistent with the local government principles, in as far as the results are within the control of the person who is taking the action.
The local government principles are—
- transparent and effective processes, and decision‐making in the public interest; and
- sustainable development and management of assets and infrastructure, and delivery of effective services; and
- democratic representation, social inclusion and meaningful community engagement; and
- good governance of, and by, local government; and
- ethical and legal behaviour of councillors and local government employees.
Carpentaria Shire Council’s budget has been prepared in accordance with these guiding principles.
For a copy of the current budget please see below.
For more information please contact Council or phone (07) 4745 2200.