Food Licences

Food licences are issued by Council under the Food Act 2006 (the "Act"). The main purpose of the Act is to ensure food for sale is safe and suitable for human consumption. The Act requires Council to monitor the standard of operations in food premises and this is achieved by providing for the licensing of particular food businesses. Information for different types of food licences is provided below and applicable fees can be found in the Current Fees and Charges Schedule.

Fixed Food Businesses

Most food businesses are required to obtain a food business licence from Council before they start operating. Businesses that may require a food business licence include:

  • restaurants and delicatessens
  • catering businesses
  • takeaway food shops
  • mobile food vans
  • providing meals with accommodation
  • child care centres/services
  • certain temporary food stalls selling food at markets or events
  • preparation of regular meals by charity groups

All persons undertaking food handling operations within a food business must have appropriate skills and knowledge in food safety matters. Food safety training services and resources are available from various sources (in house, external providers, training organisations, etc) and in a variety of formats (online, classroom based, booklets, fact sheets, etc).

When planning to open and operate a food business you will also need to consider town planning requirements. More information about town planning can be found on Council's Building and Planning page.

Mobile Food Businesses

A mobile food business is a vehicle from which a person sells unpackaged food. A mobile food business licence issued by another local government within Queensland is recognised in Carpentaria Shire. If a mobile food business wishes to operate on a Council controlled area or road, an approval (Commercial use of local government controlled area or road) will be required.

A mobile food business that conducts the following activities requires a licence from Council:

  • a food business that involves selling hamburgers from a motor vehicle
  • ice cream van
  • pie van (smoko truck)
  • mobile snack trucks
  • mobile food trailers
  • unpackaged food from a vending machine.

If you are unsure if your business requires a licence, please contact Council.

Temporary food businesses

If you operate your licensable food business from temporary premises such as, stalls, fetes or markets in more than one local Council area, you are required to hold a food business licence with each of the local Councils where you intend to operate.

Food Safety

All food businesses have obligations under the Food Act 2006 and the Australia New Zealand Food Standards Code. These obligations includes the requirement to have an appropriately trained and appointed food safety supervisor. Council now offers FREE Online Food Safety Training through Environmental Health Australia.

Forms relating to food licences can be found in the document portal below or on the Forms page, otherwise contact Council.

Other Public Health Links:

Food Licence Applications

# Name Size Type Date Download
1 Food Business Licence Application.pdf 113.26 KB PDF 28th September 2023
2 Form 213 - Standing Vehicle-Stall.pdf 117.48 KB PDF 12th September 2023